Sunday, August 30, 2009

DVD Project

DVD Holder

This is about my journey to create a DVD holder for my DD to take movies to college. She has a huge movie collection and the DVD cases took up too much space. She asked me to make something right before moving day. Now I've never created from "scratch" any kind of box or bag etc. I've done lots by following tutorials. Here is the first creation I made - simple and not too decorated as time was short and DD has simple and clean taste.
I of course used my Bind It All to hold it all together. This has to be one of the best tools I've ever purchased. As you cann see here on my blog - I sure do use it alot!
I started off with the paper cd holders. They were not big enough to hold a DVD and be bound with the BIA so I folded the little flap back and decided my holder would have to make sure to have a closed side so nothing fell out.

I used SU! real red and black cardstock. The patterned paper is from my stash (yeah!! I used some!!)

Looks great right?? Well there was a problem. I told you this was my first "design" of anything like this and I forgot to account for the extra space the DVDs would take in the envelops so the project looked nice in the photo above here while empty but it was so big when full that not only did it not close but the BIA rings weren't big enough to hold it. BIA has come out with a bigger coil but I don't have any nor do I have access to a LSS any more :{ and Hobby Lobby doesn't carry the big coils yet.
So time to be CREATIVE!
Here you can kind of see what I'm talking about - see how "fat it is"? Well I split it in two and decided to use 1 coil in the center to hold two mini holders on each side.
I then used the same cover I had already made for the holder before I realized how much room the DVDs take. I made another one just like it and attached it to the other side. I used velcro to hold the flaps closed.

The finished product! I took a piece of SU! chipboard to make a base so the DVDs wouldn't flopa round. SU! chipboard is nice and thick. I painted it black with some Plaid paint from M's and dried it with my heat gun. Then attached the holder with Scor-tape to the bottom.

I decorated with the SU! top note die (another tool I absolutely love), the SU! curly label punch and a Dream stamp from my stash.
Hope you enjoyed this long winded post!! Thanks for stopping by.
Off to link to Craft It Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment